What is the difference between eternal life and everlasting life?
2. Theologically, “eternal” means “not within any time limit, outside of time and existing without a beginning or end, like spirit”; whereas “everlasting” means “the life which did not always exist but was granted to God and it was forever, running within time, or something similar, which has a beginning but no end.”
Is eternal life a gift from God?
When it comes to biblical salvation we must be able to distinguish between a gift and a reward. In the verses above we see that eternal life is a gift of (from) God. … So, then eternal life (heaven) cannot be earned, it is not a reward for our goodness or good works.
What does God say about eternal life?
“Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.” “For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life.”
What does eternal mean in the Bible?
1a : having infinite duration : everlasting eternal damnation. b : of or relating to eternity. c : characterized by abiding fellowship with God good teacher, what must I do to inherit eternal life? — Mark 10:17 (Revised Standard Version)
What is the meaning of eternal and everlasting?
According to the English language, “eternal” means “without beginning or end, always existing, lasting forever”; whereas “everlasting” means “lasting forever, lasting for a very long time, for an indefinitely long time.”
Is God eternal or everlasting?
God is commonly portrayed as being eternal; however, there is more than one way to understand the concept of “eternal.” On the one hand, God may be thought of as “everlasting,” which means that God has existed through all time.
Does everlasting mean forever?
adjective. lasting forever; eternal: everlasting future life. lasting or continuing for an indefinitely long time: the everlasting hills.
How do I know my gift from God?
Discover Your Gifts
- Ask others to let you know. Sometimes we don’t see in ourselves what others can see in us. …
- Look for gifts in adversity. …
- Pray for the help to recognize your gifts. …
- Don’t be afraid to branch out. …
- Search the word of God. …
- Look outside yourself. …
- Think about people you look up to. …
- Reflect on your family.
How do I know I have eternal life?
Only faith in the true historical Jesus brings eternal life. In 1 John 5:11-12, he sums up the message of salvation in Christ. “And this is the testimony: God has given us eternal life, and this life is in his Son. … You can know, without any doubt, that you have eternal life.
Can you inherit eternal life?
No man can obtain the gift of eternal life unless he is willing to sacrifice all earthly things in order to obtain it” (Gospel Doctrine, 5th ed. , 261).