What is the layout of a Catholic church?
The entryway to the church is the narthex; the church portals are located here. The nave, or center aisle is an elongated rectangle and pews are located to each side. During processions, ceremonies or masses, people walk up the nave to the altar. The crossing is where the transepts and nave intersect.
What are the 5 parts of the Catholic Mass?
The Ordinary consists of five parts: Kyrie (Lord have mercy upon us….), Gloria (Glory be to thee….), Credo (I believe in God the Father….), Sanctus (Holy, Holy, Holy….) and Agnus Dei (O Lamb of God…).
What does a Catholic church look like?
Catholic churches are traditionally built in the shape of a cross with the top of the cross facing Jerusalem. The east end of the church is called the sanctuary and contains: the altar – a table where the bread and wine are blessed during the Eucharist. … a crucifix – a cross with Jesus on.
What are the areas of a church called?
The nave is the main part of the church where the congregation (the people who come to worship) sit. The aisles are the sides of the church which may run along the side of the nave. The transept, if there is one, is an area which crosses the nave near the top of the church.
What is the main part of a Catholic church called?
Technically speaking, the main part of the typical church is divided into two parts. One part is the part where the congregation sits during Mass. This part is technically called the “nave” of the church. The other main part is the sanctuary.
What are the main parts of a Catholic Mass?
The Mass is split into four main parts:
- Introductory Rites – includes the Opening Prayer, Penitential Rite and the Gloria.
- Liturgy of the Word – includes the Readings, Gospel, Homily and Prayers of the Faithful.
- Liturgy of the Eucharist – includes the Eucharist Prayer, the Our Father and Holy Communion.
What are the parts of the Mass in order?
Sections of the Order of Mass
- The Prayers at the Foot of the Altar or the Penitential Rite.
- Kyrie eleison (“Lord, have mercy”).
- Gloria (“Glory to God in the highest”).
- The prayers said in connection with the scripture readings.
- Credo (“I believe in one God”), the Nicene Creed.
What are the 6 parts of a Catholic Mass?
Part I: The Liturgy of the Word
- Introductory rites. The Mass begins with a procession of, at minimum, the priest into the sanctuary. …
- Penitential rite. …
- The Gloria. …
- The readings. …
- The homily. …
- The Credo and prayers of the faithful. …
- The offertory. …
- Preparation of the gifts.